Workcover Training and Assessment
The following explains Assessment criteria and what a Trainee needs to know and provide to undertake Training and Assessment on any machine that requires a workcover licence.
Workcover Training and Assessments cannot be conducted by the same person (by law). To make this process as easy as possible for the Employer and the Trainee, Earthworks will provide a Trainer and then when you feel you are ready to pass the Assessment; we will also provide the Assessor.
WorkCover requires 48 hours notice before any Assessments can take place. This is done by the Assessor. It is advisable to talk to us at Earthworks a few weeks prior to wanting to sit an Assessment. This will allow enough time for WorkCover notifications.
WorkCover Assessment Requirements.
- To undertake a WorkCover Assessment you must be 18 years of age.
- You must study and understand all of the written and performance Assessment Information from the WorkCover Assessment section which will be provided by Earthworks Training during your Training. See the relevant link at the bottom of this page under the link 'WorkCover Course Material'
- All critical questions MUST be answered correctly and at least 75% of non critical questions must be correct for competency to be achieved.
- You must have access to a machine to perform the performance Assessment.
- If you do not have access to the relavant machines Earthworks can provide this through training Schools that we work with.
- You must be using a log book or have a record of Training. This is a pre-requisite for all Trainees'. The Assessment will not take place if this is not provided.
- 100 points of Identification must be provided on the day of Assessment to complete the WorkCover application form. See below for points table.
Courses we conduct Training and WorkCover assessments in are:
- Excavator LE
- Skid steer Loader LS
- Backhoe Loader LB
- Front end Loader LL
- Forklift LF
- Elevated work platform WP
- Personal Hoist HP
- Material Hoist HM
- Scaffold (Al levels)
- Cranes (all codes)
- Explosive power tool EPT
- Rigging (all levels)
*Other Relevant Information*
We are able to provide oral Assessments for persons with reading and writing difficulties. The assessor will ask the questions and record your responses. This is quite common and there is no need to be embarrassed. You will need to make the assessor aware of this in advance as it has to be added to the WorkCover notification.
- You cannot undertake an Assessment using a interpreter.
- Each written assessment has a time limit, generally 1 ½ to 2 hours. This will be indicated in the particular assessment instrument.
- If calculators are required to answer questions within the Assessment, they will be provided by the assessor on the day.
- Once you have finished the written assessment, it will be marked before you. If the answers are incomplete, you may be asked to give further information. The assessor will record your response on the test paper.
- If found “Competent” by the Assessor you will be issued with an interim ticket/licence for that qualification. You then have 60 days to present this to the Post Office with the same 100 points of I.D. A Passport size photograph of yourself will be taken at most Post offices these days WorkCover will then send you your licence in the mail. If this is not done within the 60 days, the qualification is null and void and you will need to be re-assessed.
- If found “Not Yet Competent” (NYC) you will have to wait 21 days before you can be re- assessed. You will only have to re-sit the section you were found (NYC)
- You have the right to contact WorkCover if you are not satisfied with the Assessment process and want to have the decision reviewed by WorkCover. Their phone number is, 13 10 50.
- All documents must be originals. Photo copies and certified copies will not be accepted. Within the 100 points you must be able to show your current address, date of birth, signature and one must be a photo I.D. Only one primary document (70 points) will be accepted.
|100 POINT CHECK - One of these must be a photo ID|
|Document Type ||Points||Document Type||Points|
|Full Birth Certificate||70||Credit or Account Card||25|
|Australian Citizenship Certificate||70||Car Rego or insurance documents||25|
|Australian Drivers Licence||40||Property Lease Agreement||25|
|NSW Photo Card||25||Council Rates Notice||25|
|Medicare Card||25||Home Insurance papers||25|
|DVA Card||25||A Utility Bill (water, electricity or gas)||25|
|Centrelink Card||25|| || |
EARTHWORKS TRAINING’S goal is to educate the workforce into becoming competent and qualified workers. We believe that safety in the work place is paramount and want to instill this in our Trainee’s. Our down-to-earth approach to Training makes the course informative as well as enjoyable.
Suns Up MUST DIG!
Earthworks Training WorkCover Course Material.